Purpose for my blog:

I'VE ALWAYS BEEN AN EXPLORER IN MANY WAYS! I LOVE NATURE, MEETING NEW PEOPLE, SEEING NEW PLACES, AND
CAN'T THINK OF BETTER WAY TO ILLUSTRATE AND DOCUMENT MY EXPLORATION!


CLICK ANY PHOTO TO ENLARGE!

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Hubbard Glacier

A few days ago we met 2 Aussies who came in on the ferry to do some surfing. We invited them up for dinner one night featuring our signature dish we call "Yakutat Crack"! Its a casserole with Halibut, sour cream, mayonnaise, green onions and lots of Parmesan cheese all baked together. Over dinner I asked them if they'd been out to see the Glacier yet and they told us how they would like to but didn't have any plan to do so. I was like "man, you gotta see the glacier! Once you do you'll know why!" So, I called up my friend Mark, the one I fished with before, who also takes people out to view the glacier in his fishing boats. We got a trip lined up for the next day, and here's how it went! Kate and Dawn, our 2 Aussie mates, Sophie, and myself.

You have to take your time and pick your way through the ice for a while.


Captain Funderburk
Ice Navigator

Face of Glacier -350ft
Iceberg -150ft
MUCH bigger than you imagine!

Calving
I think I said OMG about 1,000 times throughout the day.





Seals


Welcome to the Hubbard Glacier Bar

This one will work
Would you like a Rita with 200 year old glacial ice?


Calving
Wow! These pictures cannot do ANY justice to seeing this live. Its hard to get any perspective. That splash, or more like explosion, is about 200ft high! It sounds like thunder and you can even feel the concussion.



Harbor Seals just chillin
Dawn, Kate, Sophie, Me
There is really no way to describe how amazing this place is. You just have to witness it for yourself. Seeing something so powerful puts us all in our place! I'm very lucky to be able to experience this a few times a week when I go out on the ships. Everyone is always so excited and in awe so it makes my job quite easy! This trip was a lot different than seeing it from the ship though. We were able to get closer and I had lots of time to just sit and watch in silence, amazed! It was truly one of the most epic days of my life!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jared,
    I just wanted to say what a terrific job you did narrating us through the Hubbard Glacier on August 3rd. It was an exciting day for me because I was able to celebrate my 30th birthday cruising through the glacier on the Ms. Rotterdam – how cool is that? You did a fabulous job and you all are so very knowledgeable and interesting to listen to. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog and checking out your amazing pictures. Not too many people get to experience firsthand the amazing sights you have been able to see. They are absolutely incredible. :-) I hope you have a super day and again, it was a pleasure meeting you.

    Amy Smith, FL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks a lot Amy! I definitely enjoy my work on the ships and feel very fortunate to have the opportunity in the first place! I'm glad you had a good experience! You should look me up on Facebook it you have it, and keep in touch. I'll be the only on in Yakutat until the end of next month! Thank you!! :-)

    ReplyDelete